Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th!

Happy holiday weekend, everyone! Last year at this time I was in the Hamptons with my lovely London ladies, and this year I was originally going to be in NC for Lindley's wedding! (Lindley is one of afore mentioned London ladies.) Unfortunately I wasn't able to make the trip, but I'm SO happy for her and Paul, and can't wait to see photos.

This weekend has been an adventure for me so far! A group of us went tubing in Poudre Canyon near Ft. Collins (thought of you, Molly!) and all survived, some more worse for the wear than others.

Optimistically filling up our tubes! Notice the smallish black ones on the left? That is what most of our group ended up with (due to some false advertising at Jax). Travis so kindly pointed out, "Those are the tubes that people die on." Oh, great. Luckily it didn't come to that.

The river! Okay, it looks calm, but there were definitely some rapids. At least I thought they were rapids. But I AM from Nebraska.

We survived! Renee and I had larger tubes, and we went down twice. The rest of the group got pretty beat up the first time and were more than happy to sun themselves on the shore until we returned.
On to the 4th of July! We headed to Wash Park, which was just crawling with people. Crazy. Bikes, people, and various balls, Frisbees, and dogs were everywhere.


We grilled a lot of great food, corn pictured below. It was quite hot, of course, which made it difficult to break in two. Hence the looks below.
And then the rain moved in. Lots of thunder beforehand, and we thought it was more bark than bite. But it rained and kept raining. We stuck it out for quite a while, but finally gave in.

But it did break long enough for a rainbow! (barely visible in the pic, sorry)

Headed to Littleton to watch fireworks with Travis's fam afterwards. It was STILL raining, and hailing not far away. The fireworks did go off after a delay, and they were pretty impressive (the ones that weren't hidden inside of the massive smoke cloud).
Much love from the Rockies!

2 comments:

  1. Jill--I LOVE tubing the Poudre! And for your future reference--those black tubes will blow up bigger--just keep going with the tire pump! I've gotten them from Jax before and you just have to keep pumping! Glad you survived though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, Mol! I ended up with a tube from Big O Tires and mine was much larger, but maybe the other ones wouldn't have been so scary had we continued pumping. Next time! (p.s. We need to meet up in CO soon so you can show me all the local hot spots. AND we had some great ice cream in Ft. Collins - YUM)

    ReplyDelete