Sunday, September 2, 2012

First days in Dublin


It’s been crazy. For those of you who have had the pleasure of putting up with me these past few weeks, you’re aware that I’ve been a bit stressed. As in this-zit-on-my-face-won’t-go-away-I’m-too-tired-to-eat-and-I’m-on-the-constant-state-of-on-the-brink-of-tears stressed. (What does this remind me of, now? Ah yes, grad school. Didn’t I swear never to do that again?)  

So what better time for a work trip to Dublin, right? Everyone asked, “Aren’t you excited?” Well I should have been, but this was probably the least prepared that I’ve ever been for a trip… enter more stress. Regardless, I needed to GET. AWAY.

I felt myself relax the moment I left the office on Thursday night. Traffic on the way to the airport? Ah well. Power point for the orientation not saving properly? No worries, I’ll download it at the airport. Oh, the server is down at DIA, so no internet access? Welp, guess I’ll get to the hotel right first thing and get it then. Oh, check-in isn’t until 2? Well then, I’ve got some time to kill… 

So no phone, no internet, no hotel, and no one to meet for a few hours I did this:

I drank this coffee

I strolled through this park (St. Stephen's Green)

I watched this guy frown at the Irish Independent

I popped into this church

And I moseyed down this street:


Now don't get me wrong, the trip has not been completely zen. Middle seats on the airplane don't make for the most comfortable flights, and let's not forget the 1.5 hours we spend in the plane on the tarmac in NYC as they unloaded ALL the suitcases, removed a piece of "suspicious" luggage, and loaded it all back in. (And why did you feel the need to tell us this while we are sitting captive in our seats? Because I don't want to necessarily be aware that I may be sitting directly above a potential time-bomb with my seat belt safely fastened.)

And yes, there is work. There are students. There are activities. But the first few hours? There was this. 

Much love from the Emerald Isle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment