I would like to send out a huge thank you to my parents. For so many reasons, but basically for being kind, level-leaded, generous, respectful, and all around great human beings, and for instilling those values in me.
When I speak to students' parents in my job I often think, "Is this what my parents thought/did/said/wanted to say when I studied abroad?" Regardless of the bumps we hit in the road, I'm fairly certain they did not call and berate the manager of my study abroad program. I deal with quite a few unhappy parents, but today was especially trying.
I spoke with the grandmother AND the mother of one of my students today on two separate occasions. The grandmother was fairly harmless, though a test on my patience. The mother, on the other hand, called and introduced herself as "the annoyed mother of [student]." Great start. The general point of concern was the cost of the program. In the next 25 minutes or so this mother called me rude, judgmental, misleading, unhelpful, disrespectful, uninformed, oh, and let's not forget "a rich girl that must have come from money". Until she had apparently had her say and then refused to speak with me any more because "I obviously can't help her." Right you are, ma'am.
Money is always a touchy subject, especially in our field when the experience we are selling is costing thousands of dollars. I get that. But remember, ma'am when you accused me of inappropriately judging and stereotyping your son? Well, didn't you just do the same to me?
I am lucky, I get it. My parents were great enough to help me have the experience of a lifetime. However, I DO get heated when strangers on the other side of the phone assume that my mommy and daddy paid for everything, and the underlying tone is that I am a spoiled, ungrateful, b**ch. The saying rings true, you can say what you want about me, but don't you dare bring my momma into this. (Cue white-girl head bob and finger snaps.)
So here is a giant thank you to my parents for NOT being "those parents". It may have taken me ten years after my study abroad to appreciate it, but I sure do, now :)
(And yes, I dug out your wedding photo. Someone also taught me that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!)
Much love from the Rockies!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment