Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Weekends like last weekend remind me why I love Denver.

On Friday evening Sarah, Ilana, and I decided to check out a local fish fry. The one we tried last year during Lent was quite disappointing compared to good ole' St. John's in Valley, so I was a bit apprehensive about this new one. But I'm happy to report that it met/exceeded many expectations! Some highlights were the deliciously salty french fries, the homemade potato pancakes made by the parish deacon, and of course, the frosty beverages sold in line. Now this is more like the fish fry I had in mind :)


Saturday brought the locally-famous Denver St. Paddy's Day Parade. The weather wasn't great but Kim and I headed downtown to check out the festivities, anyway. We ended up foregoing the parade for lunch with Carrie (my work wife), and we were nice and warm inside and safely away from the overly drunk parade-goers.

On Sunday I met Sarah for the Denver B-cycle kickoff event. (If it wasn't for Sarah I would never know about these events - somehow she manages to know everything that is going on in the city. And then she fills me in. This works well for me.) Anyhoo, the season is beginning for Denver's bike-sharing program and they needed volunteers to ride the bikes from their central headquarters to the various bike racks throughout the city. And they provided free food, drink, and t-shirts to boot. Enter Jill and Sarah. We just had to have the bikes parked in the rack by 5 p.m. that day, plenty of time for riding around, soaking up the sun, and hitting a brewery and a pizza joint along the way. (Thank you, iPhone.) We had so much fun that we docked our bikes at 4:59. Or 5:00. Or maybe 5:01. Regardless, it was close.




Sarah blazing the trail

Someone has a clever ad team over at carshare.org 

The picture makes these look like pint glasses, but they were small tasters at Strange Brewing Company along the bike route. Their Cherry Kriek beer is dangerous. And by dangerous, I mean dangerously delicious.

Happy first day of Spring, and much love from the Rockies!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you for using your iPhone! Yay, Jill. Also, the bike thing sounds like so much phone. We have the same bike program in KC...I wonder if they had a similar event to kick it off.

    I'll be out there in less than a month...hope to see you!

    ReplyDelete