Sunday, March 18, 2012

still mad

So I'm on the apartment hunt, and with one of my main resources being Craigslist, I try not to set my expectations too high. I really don't think that "basic human decency" is too high, but apparently it is. Let me start at the beginning...

I took a the afternoon off of work on Friday to look at a few apartments (and maybe partly because it was 75 degrees and sunny), anyhoo - I asked my friend to come with me. As a former interior decorator, she is going to be my lifesaver when it comes to downsizing to a studio. (eek!) Apartment #1 we looked at was okay, and apartment #2 was a dump. Not to mention the landlord seemed a bit dumpy himself. As we were leaving he stopped us and asked "What are you not seeing at this place that you are seeing at other apartments?" He said that if five people walk in and walk right back out without renting it he wants to know why. Okay, fair enough, I suppose. So my friend told him a few of her opinions - he did ask after all! At this point he got very visibly flustered and told us to "just leave the door open on our way out". Gladly, sir.

The evening goes on, I drag good-natured friends with me to attend a local church fish fry, and I then I realize I have a voicemail from dumpy landlord. Among other things, in his voicemail he proceeds to tell me that "I'll never find anything less expensive than his place unless it is bug-infested or filled with crack-whores", he told me that "my friend was extremely rude" and that "the only reason he didn't get in a fight with her is because he is a nice guy" and that "I'll never find a place to live."

Um.

I'm mad. I call said friend to vent about dumpy landlord's voicemail and I try repeatedly to convince myself that it is not worth my time to call him back. After all, I don't need to stoop to his level. Not. Worth. My. Time. Right?? Right.

So I call him back.

He needs to know that this is NOT okay. He needs to know he crossed the line between a professional interaction and a personal attack. Hardcore. You do NOT use my personal cell phone number to call me back and verbally attack me and my friend. And he needs to know just how not okay this is. (Apparently I am my Father's child, after all...)

Luckily for both of us, he did not answer. There were a lot of things I wanted to say to him, but I kept it as professional as possible. I just told him that his voicemail was out of line, and I kindly reminded him to never EVER use my phone number again under any circumstances. And then I ended with something along the lines of I-wish-you-the-best-of-luck-in-renting-your-apartments-good-day. (Good day?!?) Welp, there went my hard-ass image down the drain. Two full days later and I am still mad. I mean, who does that?!?! My fault for having human decency expectations, I guess. So the apartment hunt continues... stay tuned :)

Thanks for listening to my venting... now on to photos!

44 - Fish Fry Friday! (Not nearly as good as St. John's, of course, and my friends had to listen to me the whole night saying things like "Well, at our fish fry you can get shrimp.") Good sports, they are. 

45 - Happy St. Paddy's Day!

46 - I was trying to get the little muchkin in the back with the top hat, but these girls are cute, too,  I suppose :)

Day 47 - in the spirit of St. Paddy's, perhaps? Spinach and tortellini soup - yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment